Friday, July 22, 2011

Teaching African American History - How to Do it in Creative Ways

When it comes to conferrence facts on Black History, I am a huge fan of my neighborhood social library. There is so much to be discovered; invaluable books, documentaries, even music to aid me in addition my knowledge of Blacks in America. I've recently come across a treasure entitled Black America Series: Cincinnati, by author Gina Ruffin Moore. I can't wait to dive into this one! The wonderfully informative mini-series, Roots, can be borrowed for the watching (and re-watching)! Oh, and if you are unquestionably serious about learning, Eyes on the Prize, a documentary about the African American perceive from 1954-1965, is not to be missed. I remember once stumbling across a library music Cd of the Fisk Jubilee Singers. I immediately snatched it up since I knew that I could glean much history as I listened to those splendid spirituals. I was not disappointed!

The internet as a source for teaching almost goes without saying. What a tool! If the library doesn't have it, chances are the world wide web will (and more). Just use caution when conferrence study from questionable sources such as Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that whatever can edit.

MISSIONS TRIPS TO AFRICA

Take benefit of living history sources. What could be great than sitting down and listening to man tell his or her own story of being Black in America? An elderly African American grandmother can tell us all some things that we'd never find in an American History text! A good friend of mine recently passed away at age 86. I have fond memories of listening to his many colorful stories. I mean, do you know how many presidential elections, wars, and life experiences he'd lived through? Stories galore!

Search out opportunities to hear talks by surviving (their numbers are rapidly decreasing) Tuskegee Airmen. Sit at their feet and hear how they overcame seemingly insurmountable odds in their quest to serve this great country. Also, get to know African American families; ask them their story.

Speaking of field trips, I recently asked my children if they felt they received a good grounding in African American History. To my delight, they answered in the affirmative, but guess what they remembered most? Not my lectures, but the places I'd taken them to over the years. Places like old homes that were private railroad stops, and trips to meet African American scientists and astronauts. They recalled taking a trip to see a stage operation given by a splendid gentleman who has for years portrayed previous slave and abolitionist, Frederick Douglas. Now, it could be that the fondest memory they cherish from that particular event was the cookie "Mr. Douglas" gave each of them, but my point is, they remembered the event at all!

Teaching African American History means using some creativity versus depending upon former history texts. Give my suggestions a try or feel free to come up with some of your own. Just do it!

Teaching African American History - How to Do it in Creative Ways

MISSIONS TRIPS TO AFRICA

No comments:

Post a Comment