Tuesday, October 11, 2011

South Africa's Favorites

Here are some of my South African favorites. Let's start with food, because everyone who has seen me will know that I'm no slouch with a knife and fork.
Breakfast: Every Thursday morning I leave my house early to miss the traffic and stop and have breakfast at JB Rivers in Hyde Park. They open early; serve a great cup of coffee and the Sunrise breakfast sets you up for the day.
Lunch: The curry and rice at Royal Durban Golf Club. Eat while overlooking the unique golf course set in the middle of a horse-racing

african cats dvd

I'm going to split dinner into 4 categories:

AFRICA

1)Steakhouse: Joops, which is only five minutes up the road from Royal Durban. loop himself cooks every steak that is served, and it's done to perfection.

2)Italian: My local restaurant which is in Woodmead called Giovanni's. The Liver and Onions or the Salmon Pasta are my favourites.

3)Fancy: Browns in Rivonia is my place for a special occasion. Great jazz music on a Saturday evening, the best wine selection I've experienced, and great food.

4)Other: Any of the amazing dishes my wife concocts. Most especially the roast chicken with crisp fresh veggies and roast potatoes.

Another of my favorite things is to sleep. And the best place to rest your head when there is not a City Lodge nearby:
Guest House: The Somerset East Guest House, a converted school which is tastefully furnished, extremely comfortable, and my only complaint is that I only spent one night there.

Two best hotels with good golf courses on the doorstep: Arabella and Pezula are each lavishly decorated with terrific spas. I always remember what the grand old golfer, Walter Haque said: "I never wanted to be a millionaire I just want to live like one".

Car Hire: The Avis office at Cape Town Airport. They have the most jacked-up staff it's quick, efficient, and friendly, and it's especially gratifying when they upgrade you from a little Asian model into a Volvo.
Air Line: Due to my fuller figure, space and legroom is an issue on planes, and so my airbus of choice is 1Time. The extra legroom and leather seats give me the extra comfort. Oh, by the way, they are also less expensive. The best airport to land and take off from in South Africa hasn't been built yet. Let's hope the new one in Durban is going to be special.

So for your next trip. Fly 1Time to Cape Town, hire an Avis Car, drive through to Somerset East to Durban for dinner at Joop's Place. Stay overnight at the fabulous City Lodge at Umhlanga, you'll now be well rested for your trip to Johannesburg and breakfast at JB Rivers. Travel Safely.

South Africa's Favorites

AFRICA

No comments:

Post a Comment