Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pass The Perspective Please

As I write this month's newsletter, I am flying 40,000 feet in the air above the Atlantic Ocean; returning from my first of what will be many trips to South Africa. Since I have approximately 20 hours of flying time ahead of me, I thought this was an excellent opportunity to reflect upon my journey. My experience in South Africa did many things for me but the greatest blessing I received was perspective.

Interestingly enough, I can look back over my childhood or very young adult life and see events with clarity and the proper perspective. The most telling example is my not having a prom date in my senior year of High School. Certainly at that time, I believed my life was doomed and I would forever live with the embarrassment, humiliation and utter sadness of not being asked to what seemed like the most important occasion in my life.

MISSIONS TRIPS AFRICA

Of course most of us as adults are able to put something like a prom date or the lack thereof into the proper perspective however; I would encourage you to consider the perspective you have for the current events in your life. What is causing you to feel sad, stressed, embarrassed, angry or just occupying far too much of your time and energy. Perhaps it is a boss or a job you do not enjoy, a child who does not fit into your vision, a spouse that does not understand you or financial lack over non-essential things.

In South Africa the oppressive laws and government known as apartheid began to slowly dismantle 17 years ago and the effect is still readily apparent and yet equally as apparent is the fruit of the Spirit. The Bible tells us in Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. From the moment I arrived in Johannesburg, I immediately noticed that the people had a calm temperament with such a spirit of humility and kindness that I found myself wondering how to package it and bring it home with me.

Opportunities to experience the love and joy of South Africans are found in the most routine of places and activities; I even noticed it in a coffee shop. Because I am the mother of a teenager, I was curious and seized the opportunity to interact with several groups of young people and felt so encouraged by their unwavering belief that education and opportunities are "gifts straight from heaven. "During a church service I attended, the people of faith were so grateful for prayer or an encouraging word; they thanked me as though I had given them the winning lottery numbers.

Initially I was surprised by the people of South Africa and the sheer magnitude of their gratitude, along with their exemplary example of longsuffering but I soon came to understand that it was all about my perspective. For South Africans who were once denied something as basic as hope or when opportunity was something reserved only for others and faith is literally all you have, the result is an incredible amount of patience, perseverance and appreciation for everything in your life. This understanding caused me to truly evaluate the depth of my personal privilege in the world and realized that for me, it comes with the responsibility of depositing some of it back.
What I want for you is:

1. To seize every opportunity as your first and last

2. To truly understand your personal privilege in the world

3. To exercise your faith as though it were not optional

4. To have sincere appreciation for your many blessings and

5. To put the events of your life into proper perspective!

Pass The Perspective Please

MISSIONS TRIPS AFRICA

No comments:

Post a Comment